Note: This was written back in 2008 as a reflection on a section of a book I had been reading for a class. I'm not 100% sure which book it is, but I believe it was Prayer: The Great Adventure. I was attending Big Sky Bible Institute in the mountains of Northwest Montana, and was doing a ton of powder skiing at Big Mountain.

What David Jeremiah said about the mountains “clearing your head,” “something wonderful happens to you when you go to the mountains,” and “God created the mountains and the ocean as therapy for His people” is so true. Just last week I was struggling with some serious considerations in my head, that really aren’t all that uncommon. But last week was more intense than usual, more depressing and despairing.

I found myself thinking, “I had such a conviction in the existence of God at one point, where has it gone to? God, if you are really out there, please show me once again the conviction that I had of your existence and your power.”


All it took was one trip to the mountains, one day of delectable powder skiing, and seeing a snowflake fall on the screen of my phone, perfectly illuminating the intricacies apparent in each tiny flake which add up to form a mountain of powder skiing goodness.

Each individual flake is so intricately woven together and crafted that it seems like an entity of amazing art all on its own, yet the sum total of the snow, trapped amidst the trees of Connie’s Coulee, refresh and revive life, and somehow make the world a better place. All of it, each individual flake and the whole slope of untracked powder, point to the fact that God is out there, God designed it all, God cares for us, God has a grand plan in mind and that He never, ever forgets us.

Ultimately, this is why I love the mountains so much, and this is the reason that I love to ski as much as I do. To me, the simple fact that all of these elements (the snow, the mountains, the way the human body is created, the way the laws of gravity and meteorology work, the way the laws of physics in regards to the human body work, the way the laws of physics govern the interaction between the snow and the skis) culminate in creating such an enjoyable sensation is proof that in the midst of the sickness and perversion of relationships full of decay, the futility of the life of the atheist, and the general grime in the world, that God is still there, that He still loves us and cares for us and cherishes us as His children.

God is truly there, and He is the only thing worth living for. The only thing.

Part 2: Application 

1 response to "How the Mountains Display the Splendor of God"

  1. This is such an intimate post of God's loving us in the most minute details of our lives. We search, we ask, we seek. He answers. In His most amazing and loving and relational ways.
    God is good....all the time.
    ;)

Post a Comment