Reveling in Pure Existence

Greg Heil | 7:00 AM
Trail 401. Taken during our trip to Colorado.
This past August I had a chance to take a week-long vacation to Colorado with my wife and a few of our friends. I basically spent all week mountain biking, camping, eating, and hanging out with people that I love.

I don't know when the last time you pried yourself away from the computer screen, TV, and iPod was (I know that I spend most of my waking moments staring at a screen), but the world outside is glorious!



That week was just a truly incredible experience. I've been trying for a while now to put into words what was so fulfilling about it, but it has something to do with how I was just reveling in the fact of my existence. It was definitely a getting-back-to-basics type of natural experience.

It was so liberating not having to worry about deadlines, not having to spend hours at the computer working, not even really having to worry about money that much or paying the bills. My biggest concerns that week consisted of:
  1. 1. How am I going to pedal up this big hill?
  2. 2. What trail am I going to ride next?
  3. 3. What are we going to eat for lunch?
  4. 4. Are these clouds going to pour rain on us?
  5. 5. Why is so-and-so annoyed with me?
While our time wasn't just straight-up blissful, the worries that we may have had to deal with seemed to be more closely related to what it means to be a human being than most of the worries that I normally deal with on a day-to-day basis.

For some reason, I think we have perverted the way humanity was supposed to be. Humans aren't meant to be chained to a desk, sitting in a climate-controlled environment day after day.

We were meant to truly experience life. To take in the natural world around us with our 5 senses, to interact with it and to just truly live.

What have we done with this world?

11 responses to "Reveling in Pure Existence"

  1. Ahhh, but how do we TRULY experience life? Such a crucial question.

    I really enjoyed reading this post! It reminded me of my life and my summer in very significant ways!

    I can't help but feel constantly swamped by an endless to-do list. Even when I'm on vacation, or taking a sabbatical, I still feel pressured by the things that are piling up while I rest and relax....

    This is tough for me to deal with Greg, so I ask: How do you escape the temptation of focusing on all of the obligations and commitments that you will have to fulfill when you get back from a trip like that? How do you release yourself from those thoughts and, well, live without worry and anxiety concerning those things? Is it hard/easy to just forget about those things for a week?

    I've got a lot of additional thoughts on "Pure Existence", and it's something that has been on my mind quite a bit within these past two months.

    Great stuff! I'm excited to continue the conversation about it!

    AJ

  2. Dude, I think I may be the wrong person to ask that question, because generally I can't put it all aside. In Colorado, though, there was just so much to do and experience, that there was almost not enough time to worry. And, it was just so fun to just live and explore and be in the mountains! There was some thought of life after, but mostly not.

    I would love to hear more of your thoughts on the topic.

    I kinda had a little mini-rant on Facebook today about the absurdity of social networks and stuff... they definitely don't contribute to unadulterated existence!

  3. A good quotation that deals with this that I just found in a philosophy book that I'm reading: "I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to live so sturdily and Spartan-like as to put to rout all that was not life, to cut a broad swatch and shave close, to drive life into a corner." -Thoreau, "Walden"

  4. Ha, I did a research paper on Thoreau's On Walden Pond...If that is the 'Walden' you are quoting.
    I think it is...an art. To live in the moment. AJ, I think you are really good at this and if we would just always keep in mind, don't you think, that today is all we really have for SURE. This moment in fact. That next cliff you ride or hill you ski down or long car trip you take BACK from Colorado, let's say...could be your last here on earth. So ...let us live each moment to the fullest for that is what God has given us. He does expect us to be responsible and to 'know the condition of our flocks..' but He always commands us not to worry about tomorrow for tomorrow will look after itself. Each day has troubles enough of its own.
    memore ;)

  5. ps
    great post Gregory

  6. Check out this quotation, deals with these topics:

    "Stressed individuals get less out of life, for they cannot as easily enjoy, or even notice, what life offers them." -Daniel M. Haybron

  7. We so totally lose our focus. Life should be viewed from God's perspective and design. If we lose that, we lose everything.

  8. Love this post. Always a good reminder. Keeping this short so I can logout and get outside!

  9. Awesome Tracey! Glad to know someone's outside enjoying this beautiful day. I think I'll get to spend all day tomorrow enjoying nature; can't wait!

  10. Reason I love mt biking, hiking, skiing, climbing, etc. is to get away from hustle of modern life and enjoy what our Creator has made.
    -brianW

  11. Amen to that!

Post a Comment