My Philosophy of Social Media

Greg Heil | 12:49 PM
Social Media: it's everywhere today. With over 750 million people on Facebook, Google Plus on the rise, and Twitter a force to be reckoned with, it's hard to escape it.

I wrote the following to clarify a recent status update I posted about social media, and to clarify my philosophical position on social media in general:


-I think that much of the words spewed out on Social Media sites are useless garbage, and a waste of time. Who cares what you ate for breakfast, unless it was something extraordinary, like a polar bear or something.
-I DO think that Social Media can be used well if used intentionally. Some of the things that I think it can be used for include:
  • -Gathering information on a specific topic.
  • -Keeping up with people that you know.
  • -Staying current with companies and organizations.
  • -Interacting with your audience, and marketing.
-As I mentioned in my previous status update, I don’t think that much meaty information is posted on Social Media sites… it seems that it is more accurate to say that they function as a way to spread quality information that has been posted on other websites. I tend to do a lot of this on social media sites.

-I do sincerely think that all of the things I mentioned above could be accomplished with older mediums, such as blogging, forums, and email.
-However, anytime you have 750 million people using the same platform… it’s a powerful thing.
-That said, one of the things that irks me the most about social media is the number of social media sites on the internet. I think it would be so much easier if we could just all agree on one site to use, and then just stick with it.
-I am aware that that impines upon other philosophical positions that I hold, such as the inherent trouble with monopolies. Articles such as this one come to mind: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2042573/Facebook-privacy-row-Social-network-giant-admits-bugs.html
-So while I wish we could all use the same platform, it seems like doing so would give that platform too much power and control over people. So while it creates more work for those of us who utilize social media, it seems we should embrace multiple platforms simply for diversity’s sake.

-Bringing this full-circle, the thing that irked me and still does to an extent is the amount of time wasted on social media, and the general futility at times.
-I think it boils down to the fact that you can waste as much time on social media as you want, or you can leverage it to accomplish something. People have been choosing to waste their time for probably as long as people have existed, and if they’re just choosing to waste it on Facebook now… then I guess that’s their choice.
-So on a personal note, I guess the takeaway is that I want to spend my time on social media in a very intentional way. That doesn’t mean that I’m always trying to use people to accomplish something… that would just be harsh and kind of sociopathic. No, maybe it means I’m using social media to keep up with people and find interesting information at times… I just want to avoid it turning into the all-consuming time-suck that it seems designed to be.

Your Turn: What is your philosophy of social media?

2 responses to "My Philosophy of Social Media"

  1. Great post Greg! Very concise and direct.

    Mind if I ask what, exactly, your Facebook status that instigated this post was?

    Love this:
    "the all-consuming time-suck that it seems designed to be."

    I think that it's very true about how Facebook and other social media sites are evolving and being used. As you pointed to, this time-suck is also being promoted and encouraged by the companies/websites themselves.

    AJ

  2. AJ, I said: "Facebook has changed yet again. I don't know if I can keep up anymore, haha!"

    Then someone responded, and then I said: "Screw social networks, let's get back to the good 'ole days of email. Oh, I suppose we can keep blogs..."

    Then someone else said: "I find your response interesting, since you're one of the most featured-- and valued-- contributors to the Flight Crew discussion group."

    Then I said: "I say that a little tongue-in-cheek, because I don't think social networks will ever disappear now, whether we like it or not. But I just feel like this social network space is getting so crowded with so many competitors: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, the mostly defunct myspace.... and people are also making their own social networking sites for just about everything from biking to dating to whatever. I'm just saying, maybe it would be better if things weren't as complicated as they are now. If I had to choose, I would just wish that everyone could stick to one platform and communicate through it. But we love our individuality so much, we could never just do that! Also, it does bear mentioning that so much of what takes place and is said on social networking sites is simply garbage. Does everybody care that you woke up with your socks off when you went to sleep with your socks on? (True story, I read that in someone's status today.) Very few people are using social media to accomplish anything tangible. Also, I think that it is just plain hard to communicate anything substantial with short-form communication. At its best, social networks are just a moderately successful way to disseminate information written in other mediums. Oh and staying in touch with people? I think we managed just fine with email and blogs. Just my $0.02...... I'm not abandoning social networks, I just think there could be a much more efficient way to do what we're doing on here."
    "Sorry, that's kind of mental vomit ;)"
    "Oh, not to mention linkedin... and others. There's just too much going on."

Post a Comment