Tough Love

AJ Heil | 8:00 AM
This is a guest post by Bryce Zeigle.

Job 23:10 "But he knows the way that I take; when he has tried me, I shall come out as gold.

So what? The funny thing about the Bible is that we cannot get anything out of it by simply reading. I catch myself just going through the motions, doing the "routine." But once in a while I snap out of it. And here's what I find.

First of all, this passage has a lot of power, Especially because it is coming from one of the most unfortunate men in the Bible: Job. If anyone had reason to complain to God, or to give up or to ask "why me" I think this guy had it. Wow, I try to think about what's going on in my life and I cannot compare.


Blessing number 1: God gives us what we can handle.

Sure it hurts, Yeah, I wish it were over, No I wouldn't choose to do this to myself. But "He knows the way that I take." God know what it is that I need to grow closer to him. Sure I may not like it, but the bible promises "No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it." 1 Corinthians 10:13

So I KNOW, that He has given me exactly the amount of suffering I need to keep my sanity, but also to cling to Him for strength. You see this is the scary part, that God knows EXACTLY how much to give you and when to give it to you. If that doesn't keep you awake at night, It should!!! I thank God on both our behalf's that He is a Loving God, and that Trials exist for our benefit. In fact the presence of trials in your life is a sign of your relationship with Christ!! "No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it." Hebrews 12:11.
Photo Credit

So here it comes - the next part of Job 23:10 -"when he has tried me..." yeah, alright suffering may be great, but you can't get the benefits without paying the costs. Just like exercise, you need to suffer before you can reap the benefits.


Blessing number 2: Trials are allowed by God for our benefit

This is a funny one, not many people would consider it a blessing that God lets us suffer. But if He is a loving God, and if He wants the best for us, we as Christians must understand that trials can be good things. "...God disciplines us for our good, that we may share in his holiness." Hebrews 12:10. James Macdonald, pastor of Harvest bible Church in Rowling Meadows, described trials as: A painful circumstance allowed by God to change conduct and character. Okay, now this is a tricky one. Because I'm sure that people can go through a great deal of suffering and not mature in their conduct and character.. Further listening into this sermon has revealed that God can test us, but we must be ready and willing to make the changes necessary for growth.

Blessing number 3: Trials perfect us

So I guess the funny thing about trials is that they remind us that we can't do it all on our own. Personally It feels like every time I get it together, and things start looking good I'm thrown a curve-ball. You would think we'd learn but we are just like children, and it's gonna take more than 1 spanking to get our hands out of the cookie jar. Sanctification is a fancy word to explain the process of Christians becoming perfected in Christ. And trials are a part of this sanctification (becoming more Christ-like). So why not accept these challenges with thankfulness? It is strange but how does this sound "I shall come out as gold." I like gold. Do you like gold? I hope so! Just as Iron sharpens Iron... You see, God is molding us to His perfect specifications. I can't explain it any other way except that the outcome greatly outweighs the cost.

So friends as I am going through this tough time I would like to remind you that I am also being strengthened. In my weakness God is strong. So mourn with me in my suffering, and rejoice with me through my trial. Because God is changing my conduct and character to better suite his will.

I appreciate your prayers, and through this all I have a catchy tune for our hearts to sing:
" Oh great and mighty One, with one desire we come, that You would reign, that You would reign in us. We're offering up our lives, a living sacrifice, that You would reign, that You would reign in us."

This is a commentary contributed by a good friend of mine, Bryce Zeigle, that was originally written and published in February of 2010.  Bryce has spent the latest years of his life in central Wisconsin and is now attending Wheaton College, Illinois for his second consecutive year.

2 responses to "Tough Love"

  1. All true. Thank you and God bless....

  2. Bryce, you're amazing!
    God IS using YOU!

Post a Comment