First Amendment Sign

Greg Heil | 2:56 PM
First Amendment Sign

The First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads thus: 

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."


I took the photo above at an overlook/parking area in Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Take a moment and think about the significance of what the sign says in relation to the actual text of the First Amendment.

Yeah, there is a serious problem here! I have a few questions:

  • ~Why does there need to be an area designated for this expression? The constitution has already given us this freedom! We should be able to exercise it wherever we want. There should be no need to establish certain areas for this expression. The entire concept is ludicrous! I could possibly see why the sale of such materials would need to be allowed, but not why free distribution would
  • ~"A permit is required"? So now I need to have a permit to say what I want to say and distribute things I have written? Wait a second... no I don't! The First Amendment has already given me that freedom! If the National Park Service was to try to limit my freedom by making me have a permit they would be in violation of the Constitution of the United States, and clearly in the wrong!
Your Turn:
Can you explain this sign for me? Does anyone have an explanation that does not include this being a violation of our basic constitutional right to free speech?

2 responses to "First Amendment Sign"

  1. Is this a great Kauntry, or what?

    Reminds me of the signs in Arizona warning U.S.citizens that their safety cannot be guaranteed when traveling in certain areas known to harbor illegal immigrants with guns.

  2. I guess it makes sense.... In the way that the distribution and sale of printed material on park land requires a permit and can only be done in a certain area.

    Why does this sign make sense to me?
    Well, to start off, "'First Amendment' Expression Area" seems like more of an associate title than anything else. Notice how "First Amendment" is in quotations.

    In relation to that, the sale and distribution of printed materials, especially on park land, is not expressed in the first amendment of the Constitution (namely the sale part).

    Seems legit from the observations I've made - But I had to think about it for a while :]

    AJ

Post a Comment