Resisting Discouragement

AJ Heil | 8:00 AM
 This is a commentary by a good friend of mine, Bryce Zeigle, that was originally written and published in September of 2009.  Bryce has spent the latest years of his life in central Wisconsin and is now attending Wheaton College, Illinois for his second consecutive year.  The grammar and format of the article has been revised, and now posted here, in its entirety, as a contribution to this blog with his expressed permission.

A note of encouragement to those (such as myself) who are struggling with discouragement.

“So don’t get tired of doing what is good. Don’t get discouraged and give up, for we will reap a harvest of blessing at the appropriate time” (Galatians 6:9 NLT).

It is so easy to say, but so hard to put into practice. There are many things that work to keep us from completing our missions. It makes one wonder whether the worst enemy is procrastination or discouragement. If Satan can’t get us to put off our obligations, then he’ll try to get us to quit altogether. And yes, this includes homework!


The apostle Paul teaches that we need to resist discouragement: “So don’t get tired of doing what is good. Don’t get discouraged and give up” (Galatians 6:9 NLT).

Do you ever get tired of doing what’s right? I know we all do. Sometimes it seems easier to avoid doing the right things than to face trial in completing it. But when we avoid our work, we become more and more unmotivated to do it.


Photo Credit
When we’re discouraged, we become ineffective. When we’re discouraged, we work against our own faith.

When I’m discouraged, I’m saying, “It can’t be done.”  That’s the exact opposite of saying, “I know God can do it because he said....”
  
If you’re discouraged, don’t give up without a fight. Nothing worthwhile ever happens without endurance and energy.

When an artist starts to create a sculpture, he has to keep chipping away. He doesn’t hit the chisel with the hammer once, and suddenly all the excess stone falls away revealing a beautiful masterpiece. He keeps hitting it and hitting it, chipping away at the stone.


And that’s true of life, too. Nothing really worthwhile ever comes easy in life. You keep hitting it and going after it, and little-by-little your life becomes a masterpiece of God’s grace.


The fact is, "great people are really just ordinary people with an extraordinary amount of determination. Great people don’t know how to quit. "

Ask yourself these questions:

How do I handle time-management?
Am I prepared for the unexpected? (ex: sickness, a large assignment)
How do I prioritize my commitments?
Do I finish what I start?
How can I increase my persistence?

2 responses to "Resisting Discouragement"

  1. I find that it helps me to write a list each day or two, prioritizing my "things to do". Then, I can meticulously work that list, taking satisfaction in crossing off each completed chore.

    I do find, however, when the goin' gets tough, I sometimes backslide and try to find an easy way, or "shortcut", to complete my work. The words of Paul are most encouraging. Great post!

  2. Thanks guys. This is encouraging today.

Post a Comment