Recently, this video has created quite a stir with some of my contacts and friends on an extension of my 'Facebook network'.  The video was posted by one of my friends who has recently chosen to follow Christ, and to change his life, perspective, and behavior accordingly.  Almost instantaneously, the video was challenged as immoral and unethical from many secular viewpoints.  Within a week, there was a collection of almost 50 detailed comments concerning the content of the video - Some taking the offensive, and others taking the defensive on many different issues.

"What Guys Think About Modesty" gives some detailed examples concerning how men (specifically, Christian men) are affected by lustful desires for members of the opposite sex and how the way women dress contributes to these thoughts.  

I must stress that the ideas contained in this video pertain to people that profess to be Christians.  In other words, we can interpret this message as being directed towards Christian men and women, not to everyone that you see walking down the street - Although, some of these ideas could easily translate and relate to everyday people regardless of their faith or lack thereof.



Your Turn:
(Regardless of sex [male/female])

+ What do you think of the video?  What stands out to you from it?
+ How are you affected by lustful thoughts?  
+ How do you work to combat those desires?

3 responses to "Faith and Purity: "What Guys Think About Modesty""

  1. Hey AJ,

    Good video. I think this a very pressing issue that needs to be addressed, and needs to be talked about! I think there are two sides to the issue: Women who dress immodestly and men that don't treat women with respect in the way they look at them and think about them. I feel like in this video, the man who wrote the letter put too much emphasis on the women's side of things. So it's HER fault that he stumbles and falls because women are showing "just a little bit of their stomach?" I think yeah, there are definitely outfits that can cause a guy to go crazy, but the guy has a responsibility to act and think appropriately.

    I think there is a very fine line here, and I also think that people of both genders have much they could do to improve on the issue. I think that women (especially Christian women) could dress more modestly on the whole, and I think that men (especially Christian men) could treat women with more respect with their looks and with their thoughts.

    But frankly, I think for this guy to whimper about the ways that women are supposedly causing him to stumble instead of manning up and taking responsibility for his vulgar thoughts and the way he looks at women is really pathetic and the antithesis of true manliness.

    Sure, small things can trigger lust... I get that. But I find that most often in my life, it isn't the first glance that sends me into sin. It's where I go from there: whether I take a second look or not, and how I choose to think about what I've just seen: whether I dwell on it or dismiss it.

    Those are the decisions that can change our lives from ones of lust to ones of purity.

  2. Anonymous | May 16, 2011 at 7:50 PM says:

    From my 14 years of teaching experience I have seen many young ladies dress immodestly. Most of these young ladies are crying out for attention that they never got from a loving mother or father. Sadly they are getting this craved attention.

    -brianw

  3. That is so true.

Post a Comment