Why Can't I Buy Beer on Sunday?

Greg Heil | 9:46 PM
Photo Credit
Here in the South, there are a number of interesting liquor laws. Many of them vary from county to county, but for the state of Georgia (and elsewhere in the "Bible belt," I believe), it is illegal for stores to sell any type of alcoholic beverage on a Sunday.

My question is simply: "WHY?" What purpose does this law serve? 

Let's think about the issue critically for a minute. Alcohol can be sold on every day of the week, except Sunday. It is obvious to anyone with half a mind that there is some connection between "Christianity" and this unique law. 

So again, I ask, what is the purpose behind this law?

. . . .


You don't know? Neither do I. While I can't tell you what the purpose of the law is, I can tell you the practical outcome: people see Christians as legalistic and judgmental. 

Don't believe me? Well, try to convince me that this law in any way advances the kingdom of God. 

There is nothing in the Bible that prohibits drinking. In fact, the Bible seems to almost promote it. They ran out of wine at the wedding, and Jesus fixed the situation by turning water into the best wine anyone had ever tasted! There is even a verse in first Timothy (verse 5:23) where Paul tells Timothy to drink a little wine and stop drinking only water, as it will help with his illnesses and his stomach.

There is a verse in Ephesians speaking out against being drunk (verse 5:18). But being drunk and having a drink are two entirely different things! The problems with being drunk are that the person in question is no longer in control of his faculties, and that he is having too much of a good thing, thus making it an idol. On the second point, the relationship of the sin of "gluttony" to food is similar to that of "drunkenness" to alcohol. 

So this law definitely does not further God's kingdom in any way. In fact, it really does make people think of Christianity in a legalistic rules-oriented way instead of a Christ-centered freedom-under-grace way. I have actually met people who said the main reason they didn't want to be a Christian was because then they would have to stop drinking alcohol. I told them that that's not the case, but because of the way the Church has portrayed itself to the rest of the world, those people wouldn't believe me.

Just for a minute, let's say hypothetically that drinking an alcoholic drink is a sin. If so, is it then O.K. to buy drinks every day of the week except Sunday? So just so long as it's not on the holy day, it's O.K.? Not only would that be legalistic, it would also be hypocritical. If you're going to go far enough to ban the sale of alcohol on Sunday, you might as well ban it altogether. 

This law is truly ridiculous. I had never heard of such an absurdity before I moved from the north woods of Wisconsin down here to Georgia. Yeah, I can really see the benefits of living in the "Bible Belt..." now if only there was some actual gospel being lived out by all of the churches around here instead of legalism........

Obviously not every church in the South is screwed up and legalistic. I attend an awesome church that preaches the good news of God's grace and mercy, but it sure seems like that is not the message preached by the majority of those who call themselves "Christians." What really worries me is the fear that if so many people have gotten caught up in this mess of laws and legalism, there is a chance that many of them may have entirely missed the truth of salvation through grace alone.

Let's enjoy living holy lives through Jesus's blood, free from the constraints of the law! If we're striving to honor Christ in our everything, there's nothing wrong with buying some beer and grilling some hamburgers on a beautiful Sunday afternoon.

Follow Up Post

13 responses to "Why Can't I Buy Beer on Sunday?"

  1. Anonymous | May 9, 2011 at 6:11 AM says:

    These are remnants of the "blue laws" which forbid businesses to open on Sunday. When i was a kid in the 70's all the stores were closed. The laws started were changed at first that the Sundays near Christmas stores could open. Over time it was every Sunday. Massachusetts still does not allow beer/wine sold on Sunday.

    -brianW

  2. Alcohol, when in the wrong hands, can be a powerfully addictive and destructive force. However, Dr. McKay Caston, my pastor, shared a quote from The Ragamuffin Gospel on his blog last week. It reads, "I can be addicted to vodka or to being nice, to marijuana or being loved, to cocaine or being right, to gambling or relationships, to golf or gossiping [or shopping]. Perhaps my addiction is food, performance, money, popularity, power, revenge, reading, television, tobacco, weight, or winning." To paraphrase John Calvin, "the human heart is an idol factory." If it isn't alcohol, it will be something else. Humans are naturally enslaved. However, Christ provides supernatural freedom. He allows us to enjoy good things without making them ultimate things. Let us worship the God who who freed us and graciously gave, "wine to gladden the heart of man." (Pslam 104:15)

  3. @Brian w, See, that I didn't know! Thanks for enlightening me. I know you're a teacher, you don't by chance teach history, do you?

    @Matt, That's spot on! What a great quotation! I'd missed that post... thanks for sharing.

  4. Do what I do, Greg. I keep a stash of spiritous liquors to guard against running out should I desire a pop on the sabbath. I agree with everything you say.

  5. Props to the photo!

  6. Steve Wentz | May 9, 2011 at 2:21 PM says:

    Greg - when Marie and I first moved to South Carolina (to go to seminary in Columbia), we decided to check out one of the local malls on a Sunday afternoon (not looking for alcohol...). It took us a while to figure out what was going on when the place was deserted - thanks to the "blue laws." At least you can buy most things now...
    Steve W.

  7. @Clint, There you go, I'll have to start doing that! The problem is that sometimes I drink so infrequently that I'll think "Hmm, maybe I should go pick up a six pack for the week, a beer would go well tonight as we grill out," and then I head to the store only to realize that it's Sunday and that that's not OK...

    @Matt, Tasty, but expensive!

    @Pastor Steve, That's so interesting! I hadn't heard of the blue laws before today, so I went to Wikipedia to check it out. If anyone else is interested, here's the opening paragraph:

    "A blue law is a type of law, typically found in the United States and Canada, designed to enforce religious standards, particularly the observance of Sunday as a day of worship or rest, and a restriction on Sunday shopping. Most have been repealed, have been declared unconstitutional, or are simply unenforced; though prohibitions on the sale of alcoholic beverages or prohibitions of almost all commerce on Sundays are still enforced in many areas. Blue laws often prohibit an activity only during certain hours and there are usually exceptions to the prohibition of commerce, like grocery and drug stores. In some places blue laws may be enforced due to religious principles, but others are retained as a matter of tradition or out of convenience.[1]"

    So today it is really just an interesting Southern cultural phenomenon, although I still stand by assertions that some of the initial laws at least didn't have much in the way of a Biblical basis.

    But thanks guys for helping educate me! :)

  8. Anonymous | May 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM says:

    @ Greg, I teach science (chemistry and **yucky** physics this year)but have taught most of the courses. Stuff about Massachusetts is from life. Grew up on in MA on the NH border. Remember driving to NH, 'til I moved there, on Sundays to shop and beer.
    -brianW

  9. @brianW, very cool! I loved high school chemistry

  10. So we must ask - Why are 'blue laws' still enforced?
    The Wikipedia entry cited that it may be due to tradition or convenience. Although the original institution of these laws was linked to religious context, why do they still exist in your area and have not been taken out of legislation?

    I don't know much about laws regarding alcohol sales/consumption and how widespread they are, but I do know that in La Crosse, WI, alcohol sales are prohibited after 9pm on weekend nights. This includes Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday - I am not entirely sure which nights.

    Are laws like this more justified than not selling alcohol on Sunday? If so, how? Is there maintenance/existence related?

    Some things to think about...

    AJ

  11. That's a good question AJ.... why are they still on the books?

    So those alcohol sales don't includes restaurants and bars, do they? I always thought La Crosse had a pretty rowdy downtown night life.

  12. Anonymous | May 16, 2011 at 7:57 PM says:

    There are many communities that have strict alcohol sales regulations and others that are "dry" I personally feel it should be left to the local governments not Federal or State.

    Not selling after a given time is not a surprise. Believe CT has a similar thing that AJ mentioned. When I was in Penn. I discovered that stores cannot sell 6-packs of beer but brew pubs and bars can.

    -brianW

  13. Interesting article pertaining to these laws: http://cherokeetribune.com/bookmark/13201400/article-Liquor+store+owners+worry+about+Sunday+alcohol+sales?sms_ss=gmail&at_xt=4dcb396752fafc7d%2C0

Post a Comment