A week. A day. A minute. A second.

Lately, the concept of immediate time has plagued my mind with unfaltering constancy.

Many of us, at one time or another, have probably felt as if the days and weeks that we live pass by too quickly, or not quickly enough. Have you ever found yourself looking back on a much anticipated vacation, trip, or experience and wondering how it passed by so fast? The moments, and years that have brought us to this point can only be viewed now as memories - And in hindsight, one's life history may seem like it has happened in the snap of the fingers.

After thinking about all that we've been through as individuals and the time that has passed in our lives, it may automatically raise thought for the future. We know how time has passed in our lives thus far - but how much of it do we have left? What will we do with the time that we have left?

As a full time student at a university, sometimes my days seem stagnant. As busy as they may be, with me fulfilling commitment after commitment and writing paper after paper, I continually find myself climbing up onto the top bunk at the end of another day wondering where all of the hours disappeared to. Laying in my bed, I recount the day and examine how I used my time, and how brief each day seems.

The years turn into minutes - The minutes into nanoseconds.

To ponder and discuss:
+ How short our lives are - How quickly each year seems to pass us by.
+ What do we do with our time that really matters?

3 responses to "The Brevity of Time: Uncomfortable Redundancy"

  1. Hmmm. Good points to ponder. Yes, the days and years do roll on. I look back on my life and all the stuff I did and I wonder how I got to be this age (66) without accomplishing a lot more. Then, I realize that if I measure myself in human terms, I am always going to feel that way---because there will always be others who have achieved more than me in human (worldly) terms.

    But, when I look at my life the way it SHOULD be observed, I realize that I deserve some credit for finally waking up and realizing that faith is most important, and working to develop that faith, and putting my life in His hands, and not worrying about anything else.

    Living life that way, we will touch others in positive ways.

  2. AJ, I definitely understand the feeling of a vacation passing by too quickly... I just experienced that up in Wisconsin! I definitely agree with your sentiments about using our time wisely.

    Clint makes a good point though. Sometimes whether or not we've used our time productively depends on what standard we measure it by.

    I think what you're getting at AJ is that sometimes we can be really busy doing all of the things of this world, but at the end of the day it may not have made a great difference in eternity.

    So I think in the end the question is: what are our priorities? What really matters to us in the end?

    Good stuff!

  3. LOVE , at least to a child, (and aren't we all children at heart?) ......is actually spelled T-I-M-E.
    "Teach us to number our days..."
    God gives us a new day...why?
    How will we use it for Him?
    Who will we 'use it on'? to show His love, our love, toward another?
    Time is our most precious commodity!
    Let us definitely not squander it.
    When we awake at the beginning of another God ordained day, we should ask Him," How would YOU choose that I spend it?"

Post a Comment