80's Hair
Found in the Flickr Creative Commons
Growing up as a kid and a teenager, I remember watching movies from the 80's and thinking "Wow, did people really dress like that back then? That is so cheesy!" Of course, I was only born in '88 so I could ridicule the teased out hair and high jeans without any of that reflecting back on myself.

I've recently found several movies on Netflix released back in the mid 90's that I had never heard of before that sounded interesting, so I sat down and watched them. They were entertaining movies, don't get me wrong, but there were multiple times when I just thought to myself, "Wow, I cannot believe how cheesy the 90's were!" I was only a kid during the 1990's, but even as a teenager in the 2000's (is that how we're referring to the last decade?) I remember listening to a lot of 90's music and watching 90's movies and genuinely enjoying it without realizing how lame some of it may have been

(Full Disclosure: I still love 80's rock and a lot of 90's metal, hardcore, and grunge.)



Perspective
What I am driving at is the concept of perspective. As we look back on the past, our perspective often changes drastically, and so we wonder why people dressed like they did or acted the way they did in decades past.

As I pondered this phenomenon, I wondered to myself, what would it be like to have the perspective of old age?

I remember having a conversation with my grandparents over Christmas vacation about technology and the rapid rate at which it is progressing. My grandma commented to us that "I used to try to keep up with everything, but now it is all just too much." Grandma's perspective was implicit in her comment, when she said that they had felt like they had to "keep up" with technology. I'm sure that some of us in the younger generation feel that we're behind the ball when it comes to technology (I want an iPhone), but I personally never feel like I have to consciously "keep up." I just live life, and change with the advancements.

I can understand why she feels that way, though. Computers only barged into the main stream roughly 20 years ago. My grandparents had already been around walking this earth for 50 years (of course I'm rounding here) when computer technology landed in culture with a massive splash. Think about the perspective that they have, seeing everything change so dramatically.

How Should We Live in Light of Perspective?
Because of her age and long life, my grandmother has a unique perspective that I could not possess at this moment. Maybe we all are expending way too much time, energy, and money focused on things that don't matter in light of eternity, such as technology. Do we need to take a step back and gain some perspective? Or are we just living life and adapting easily? I think the answer can vary from person to person.

As it usually does when things boil down to questions of time, the answer lies in our list of priorities.   We must all decide what is most important to us. We've got to decide if that iPhone will really make our lives better, or if it'll just be a big distraction.

Your Turn: In the face of time and perspective, how should we evaluate the way we are spending our time and resources today?

6 responses to "Cheesy 80's Hair, and the Perspective of Age"

  1. We are supposed to live simply, at least that's what Jesus taught, and I believe that. The things of this world are simply not important. While it is really nice to be able to communicate via the internet and cell phone, innovations are a daily thing and today's latest and greatest are tomorrow's obsolescence. It is hardly possible to keep up with technology. But, if we live simply, what does it matter if we do not have what everyone else has? What I really enjoy about being older is the fact that I have lived through so many trends and fashion/style changes and don't give a d any more. I'm lettin' my hair grow out and I love it when my friends tell me I need a haircut so I can look "like them". Ha. It ain't gonna happen. Thanks for a great post, Greg.

  2. Thanks for the insights, Clint. Way to be: grow the hair out and don't listen to what anyone else says! Like you said, trends come and go so rapidly, it doesn't really matter!

  3. Interesting topic - Definitely something worthy of thinking about.

    I think we, as people, should all tailor the way we spend time and resources according to our goals and objectives - and overall, what we believe to be the meaning of life.

    For example: If I believe the meaning of my life is to be the best skier in North America... I will allocate the majority of my time to becoming better at skiing. I will spend all of my expendable money on skiing products and things that can further my career as a skier. I will invest in relationships and events that can work to improve my reputation as a renown skier.
    Why will I do all of these things? Because, hypothetically, I would find meaning in being a prolific skier. And this meaning would give my life a feeling of purpose.

    However, skiing is not what I believe the meaning of life to be, but I feel that the same layout can be applied to everyone's life and what they find meaningful in it.

    -AJ

  4. Great example AJ, I'm totally jiving with ya!

  5. Maybe we need to just 'be in touch' with who ever God brings our way with a need for THE Good (God) News. But, does this mean 'keeping up' as your Grandma alluded to? We can connect to people on all different levels and by all different means. So, if what is most important to us is impacting God's world for HIM (ie His People...)
    Maybe we should get His take on what that might look like when He wants to use US at our age, our gender, our economic status, our career track...
    Might be a totally different picture/perspective depending on who you're lookin at...and who you want to impact for Him...
    yes?

  6. @Anonymous, I agree with you, it's probably a little different for everyone depending on how God wants to use you.

    Thank you for your input!

Post a Comment