Total Relaxation
Photo credit.
I wrote a blog post on my career-focused website a few weeks ago that was focused on the value of taking a break from the constant pressure of work and life. In the post, I referenced the Biblical command to take a day of rest every week. You can read those concluding paragraphs here:

Rest
See: there is something to be said for resting and re-energizing. Just today I read an article on The Resurgence  emphasizing the importance of scriptural rest. I know this command and know why it's true, but as I look back over the past few months, I've realized that I really haven't ever taken a full day off and just relaxed. I always seem to cram something into my free time. If I'm not working my day job, in class, or doing homework, I try to do some blogging. I'm constantly squeezing in some rough draft writing, editing, polishing, publicizing, et. all.

From here on out, I'm going to try to consciously take one day per week to de-stress, relax, and refuel for the coming week. By doing so, I anticipate that my overall productivity will increase: a win-win!


If you want to read the full post, it is available here.

God has commanded that we take time to rest and focus on worshiping Him for a reason. The main reason is that He is a holy God who is supremely worthy of our awe and worship, and having a day which is centered around the worship of his majesty brings more glory to Him!

The second and subordinate reason is that we are finite human beings and cannot go-go-go like the Energizer Bunny. Heck, I'm sure even that bunny has to get its battery changed at least every now and then! We need time to relax and recuperate. I think that God has commanded that we take that time because He knows that we most likely won't if left to our own devices.

As I concluded in my previous post: "From here on out, I'm going to try to consciously take one day per week to worship God, de-stress, relax, and refuel for the coming week."

Bring on the R & R!

Your turn: How do you go about setting aside time for worship and rest? Do you focus on Sunday or another day of the week? We would love to hear your thoughts and opinions below!

6 responses to "Relaxation: Following the Scriptural Command"

  1. I pray and worship every day. Until recently, I was overly active in my church and Sunday school, and after about seven years of this constant go-go, God began to tell me to back off and take time to spiritually reflect on my path of faith. I have been doing that for a while now, and it has been really eye-opening for me. Great post---thank you!

  2. This is really interesting, and something that I feel an extremely minute minority of us actually do on a regular basis. The idea of completely eliminating distractions and stress is something that is very very hard to accomplish.

    Many of us know how to take a day, kick back, and relax - Because of how enjoyable it can be.
    But how many of us truly know how to find the motivation to focus on God for an entire day, and to not be distracted by our own self-pleasure.
    Finding enjoyment in worshiping God, and relaxation in the comfort of his power is where I believe the two concepts overlap.

    Great thoughts man!

  3. @Clint, That's so true, but something that most of us never think about: ministry can actually hamper our relationship with God if we overtax ourselves. Thanks for the insight!

    @AJ, I really liked this sentence: "Finding enjoyment in worshiping God, and relaxation in the comfort of his power is where I believe the two concepts overlap."

    Score!

  4. Has anyone considered that fasting might be a great way to remove distractions and concentrate on prayer and hearing from God?

  5. Fasting is definitely a great way to do that, but do you fast every week? In this post I was trying to get at the weekly habit of taking a sabbath.

    But fasting is undoubtedly the best way to remove distractions and focus on prayer and worship. I won't claim to be the best at this particular spiritual discipline, but I personally find it effective to do every once in a while, or when something serious is happening.

  6. Fasting. Definitely something I need to do more of.

    And not just fasting from food - From many other distractions and potential dependencies.

    Good thinking.

Post a Comment