My Life as One Big Checklist

AJ Heil | 8:00 AM
As I go throughout my life, currently in a university setting, I find that at times my life feels like an endless checklist of items.

I like to make lists, to-do lists especially. It is a way that I set temporary, short-term goals and consistently work to complete them one by one, crossing each item off of the list upon accomplishing it. I like the satisfaction I get from crossing each item off of a list, and finally, reaching the point where all the items are crossed off - All of the goals on the list have been completed.

It certainly isn't a bad thing that I choose to make these lists of obligations and appointments; it keeps me very organized and always working towards accomplishments. The problem comes in when I finish a list - I then start with another blank slate, fill another piece of paper with goals and objectives. It is a constant reoccurring process.  As soon as one list ends, another begins.

I become consumed with always working on the subsequent item, striving to complete the next task. It is so easy for me to get sucked into an infinite list of to-dos and obligations; but then I realize that I need to take a step back - Examine my life and the things that I am doing. Where does my motivation lie - What are my reasons for doing what I do?

I don't want my life to just be a list of accomplishments. I want it to be something more; and through all of my experiences, the only place I've found true deeper meaning and purpose is in Jesus Christ. Otherwise, life seems nearly pointless.

Your Turn:
Does your life ever seem like an endless list of to-dos?
How do you "break the mold" and take a step back to observe your life?
Where do you find meaning and purpose in life?

5 responses to "My Life as One Big Checklist"

  1. I know what you mean. I'm the same way with "To-Do" lists. In my case, a list of priorities is necessary because I need structure to get anything done. Also, I don't want a reputation of not following through on things.

    But I don't worry about it...I do turn it over to the big guy and carry on. He always lets me know when to back up, pause, take a break.

  2. AJ, I definitely know what you mean about living by your to-do list! Personally, I'm with Clint that I need a list to give structure to my work and writing... and so I don't forget things! That's the main reason I make one... sometimes things escape my memory.

    But I can definitely empathize with the feeling of life becoming a big check list. I was thinking about a month or so ago how I felt like I was constantly trying to get to the next big thing in life: Finish the semester, get married, get a degree, find a career... the list goes on and on.

    Finally, I realized that while I may have things that need to get done and goals I want to accomplish, that all I need to do to serve God best is to be satisfied with where I am right now, and to serve him as he's called me IN THIS MOMENT as well as in the grand scheme of things!

    Thanks for this post man, I loved reading your thoughts on the topic!

  3. Today I was at a Bible study and the leader asked each of us to make a list of the ten things we think about most during the day. Then she asked us to look and see if there was a common theme to those ten things. When I did this I realized that several of mine referred to thinking about all of the things that I should do that day or thinking about things I didn’t do that I should have.

    That small exercise in and of itself provided me with the opportunity to take a step back and observe my life.

    Through this exercise it also became evident that the Lord needs to be way higher on my thinking priority list. I say that because I find my meaning and purpose in life in Him; therefore, I should be thinking about Him often.

  4. Great insights, Kaitlynn! That sounds like an awesome exercise!

  5. Greg - Totally know what you mean. I've been told that "God cares more about the present than he does about the past or future." There are so many applications to this quote, and I think it's totally true. If our current mindset is truly honoring God, our future will definitely build on that (and I see this in many scriptural examples). It just reminds us to live in the moment, and to truly seize the day because we don't know have many we have left.

    Lately, I've been convicted to live every day as my last, because that's what it seemingly boils down to. With that thought, I realize that I definitely live with a high reliance on what happens in the future, it is the reason that I do most of the things that I do throughout each day - I am preparing for the future. My future.

    It's super challenging as I'm struggling with it in a scriptural context. Certainly it seems necessary to give thought and action to the future, but how to we honor God to the utmost and give proper regard to our future? It seems contradictory in some ways, it truly does.

    Anyways, just a rant on some recent thoughts.

    Kaitlynn - Thanks for giving the example of that exercise! I'm going to sit down and take the time to do that. It should reveal the areas of our lives that we need to focus on.

    -AJ

Post a Comment